Monday, August 4, 2008

The first year as a SCBWI member!!!

Today is Monday, August 4..... and for the last 4 days I, amongst 915 of my newest and closest friends, have been pleasantly entertained by each other... the writers, illustrators, editors and agents who create and produce the colorful, whimsical, and educational books and reading materials that come into the hands of our children.

The Society of Book Writers and Illustrators Annual Summer Conference is an experience to be had by anyone "considering" a career or writing opportunity involving children.

The following is a "brief" synopsis of what I have experienced... what I have learned, and who I have learned from... There will be active links and resources.... but what you won't find is a "word for word" essay.... because that would take away the personal experience and dilute the one on one encounters... The information is "my" interpretation and opinion, and for you to enjoy and learn from. If you have questions, comments, or corrections - as I am only human and may have heard something wrong... then Please let me know... I'm happy to learn more.
the SCBWI website also will have a webjournal account of EVERY seminar - so check that out too!!! www.scbwi.org


1: Be a member of SCBWI - I joined in June 2007 and attended my 1st conference in August 2007... One year later I am SoOOOOooo excited I made that decision! I knew no-one and just quietly kept to myself. I observed, listened and learned as much as possible. Each keynote speaker and seminar instructor taught me something valuable... my portfolio review was informative and humbling, and I was realizing that it was the Best Next Step in becoming a children's book writer / illustrator.

2: The next step... get involved. I quickly realized that I needed to meet other illustrator's and writers, and jumped on line to the Tri-regions website (SCBWI.org) and checked out the calendar of events. What was happening in my area... I found out that my local South Bay (Southern California - Beach Cities) area Schmooze coordinator had stepped down and that there was a need for someone to take charge of events in the area... being so new I was hesitant to take on something I really didn't know much about.... but kept an interest in what it was all about.... what was a schmooze anyway? It sounded fun and intriguing... but what was it? It was not a critique group... it wasn't "show and tell" either...

3: Attend other events... I attended several SCBWI events. "Down the Rabbit Hole", an annual field trip hosted by the LA-SCBWI... and illustrator schmoozes both in West Los Angeles (Santa Monica area) and in Orange County, CA.... each event giving me a new perspective, insight and valuable tools to become a better illustrator, and made me realize I'm not too bad at the writing thing either... so I'm a "WI" combo.... I also realized that the South Bay was in need of someone to run the SB Schmooze - So... 6 months into this wonderful organization... I became the South Bay Schmooze Coordinator.

4: The support is wonderful... The SCBWI organization is so supportive. Within a week of me taking on the Schmooze role... I had coordinators from all over the region offering advise and encouragement to keep me motivated... and the response from other SCBWI's in our local area has been wonderful...

This year, attending the conference has been a WONDERFUL ride... Each classroom and seminar was filled with people I knew,... some from last year at my first conference... Others from the local area where I'd attended schmoozes... and of course the select group of ladies from the South Bay who I've been schmoozing and corresponding with over the past few months. It's amazing how knowing just a few more people makes a difference in a sea of 900+ people.

For anyone who hasn't attended an SCBWI event.... clear your calendar,... look at what your local region has to offer and GO!!! Get to know people and learn what you can... from that your writing and illustrating will gain a life that is ready to leap off the pages....


To see a "who's who" from the LA Conference - go to the SCBWI website and click through to events... a full synopsis of each person, lecture and topic will be there for you to read. The notes that I will be sharing are my own... with my perspective and my personal experience rendered in there... so forgive me if I get "too" detailed or lengthy - but that's why I came here... to learn and share....


----- Stay tuned for more Conference notes.... I took a lot, and it will take a few days to extract them all and make them legible...

No comments: